20 December 2010

Global Cooling Strikes Earth With a Vengeance?

SpotlessSun

An unusually cold and snowy December has struck across Europe, Wales, Ireland -- even Australia!!! This extreme cold goes against a brief, but multi-decadal trend of warming winters, and has many people asking whether there is an underlying (and unforeseen by climatologists) reason for the apparent switch in climate regimes?

Climate researcher David Archibald believes that there is something different about Solar Cycle 24 PDF. Archibald has come out publicly predicting that this solar cycle, and the one following, will be cycles of extremely low solar activity. Such an extended period of low solar activity may be similar to a historic cold spell that occurred between 1790 and 1830.
The Dalton Minimum was a period of low solar activity, named after the English meteorologist John Dalton, lasting from about 1790 to 1830.[1] Like the Maunder Minimum and Spörer Minimum, the Dalton Minimum coincided with a period of lower-than-average global temperatures. The Oberlach Station in Germany, for example, experienced a 2.0°C decline over 20 years.[2] The Year Without a Summer, in 1816, also occurred during the Dalton Minimum. _WUWT
It is best for humans to keep in mind that their lives are deeply affected by phenomena which are far larger than any human activity -- and go far beyond the ability of humans to influence.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger hofstb said...

Amazing...

This is my first comment here, but you're the only blog that I read anymore. I never miss a post, and when I have time I read past posts. Please keep it up.

Brandt

Monday, 20 December, 2010  
Blogger al fin said...

Brandt:

I appreciate the sentiment.

Be advised, however, that if you have not been offended by what you read here, you have not been reading long enough.

AF

Tuesday, 21 December, 2010  
Blogger gtg723y said...

Al I have not found anything to offend my sesibilities on your blog either. I am alos a fan of Penn and Teller, so perhaps I am difficult to offend. Although I think I may have offended some of your readers, sorry.

Does solar cycle 24 mean I don't have to listen to idiots talk about AGW anymore? If so a year without a summer might be worth it. Although I do like my FL oranges... hmmmm. Its a tough call do I love oranges more than I hate idiots.... no, I can give up my citrus.

Tuesday, 21 December, 2010  
Blogger hofstb said...

By the way, Add Columbus, GA to your list of locations blessed with an unusual "White Christmas" this year.

There's an inch of snow on the ground at Ft. Benning tonight (DEC 25th).

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hY9KwjOcPBHXoxY_0bFWkqojremQ?docId=CNG.bf43c601f67e06b129ba3136fcd3b670.9c1

Brandt

Saturday, 25 December, 2010  
Blogger LarryD said...

We're learning more about oceanic oscillations, with periodicity in the decades. These create alternating warming and cooling trends about thirty years long. We've just switched from a warming trend to a cooling one. the previous cooling trend had people predicting the return of the ice age, there are people already in that mode, although the AGWers haven't yet extracted themselves from the warming doom.

The solar minima on top of that is new to science, but I don't expect worse than the Dalton Minimum.

Monday, 27 December, 2010  

Post a Comment

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” _George Orwell

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts
``